Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Right now, we’re looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our growing team where you’ll play an important role in delivering sustainable energy solutions for huge organisations where they will really make a difference. This is a home-based role with regular UK travel (company car / car allowance provided).
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and manage a team of highly skilled engineers who carry out mechanical design on a wide variety of customer solutions.
- Lead the design phase to further develop/evaluate concept ideas – manage the estimating and delivery of design against design budgets on multiple projects
- Identify feasibility criteria for projects and work with sales team to ensure that they are met by opportunities presented to the customer.
- Identify realistic and creative concept ideas when presented with initial customer information and present them in a way that is enticing for people with or without technical background.
- Ensure customer’s technical requirements, challenges and profiles are met with the proposals with acceptable levels of client change and risk.
- Draft programme from sales handover to final proposal / contract signature (in agreement with Design and Construction and O&M).
- Initiate/ prepare tender process and support the evaluation of tenders – provide technical support in client and supplier contract negotiations.
- Suggest appropriate suppliers and liaise with Procurement and Project Management teams about their selection, involve procurement/HSSE for their onboarding as required.
- Write performance specifications (in conjunction with external engineering support as required) using the technical documents.
- Aid the Head of Design & Development with the implementation of the design strategy – improving design processes, specifications, and procedures to enhance the efficiency of the design team.
What we need from you
- Good overview of sustainable engineering concepts and working within an existing buildings portfolio to deliver change and betterment around utilities profiles and carbon footprints.
- A client-side communications ability that allows for complex solutions to be translated to customers in a mix of technical / non-technical and commercial ways to suit the client.
- Experience of Construction Design and Management Regulations, auditing, and Design Risk assessment
- In-depth knowledge of commercial on-site generation technologies such as industrial/ commercial heat pumps, gas engines, steam boilers, absorption/electric chillers, Solar PV and Battery preferable.
- Engineering qualification at or working towards a Chartered level with a Degree level academic background.
- Experience in people management of a team of engineering and technical professionals and driving performance.
Here’s what you need to know Our market-leading benefits package includes 26 days holiday + bank holidays, a generous pension scheme, life cover, bonus and the chance to choose from 20 flexible benefits with tax and/or NI savings. In fact, our benefits package recently won the Personnel Today Reward, Recognition and Benefits Award 2022! As the only energy company to feature in The Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers (our 2022/23 ranking is 15th) we’ve proven that we’re committed to equal opportunities and actively promote a diverse and inclusive working environment, and fairness for everyone.
We realise the best people bring their energy at different times, so we’re happy to talk flexible working and offer a range of flexible working options, including full time, part time and job share.
As a Disability Confident Employer we interview every disabled applicant who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
We’ve exciting opportunities for everyone to develop their talent. Our open access, inclusive talent networks provide networking, learning and development for all, building your skills, qualifications, and capabilities throughout your career.