Software Engineer – Database Services
Job Title: Software Engineer – Database Services
Location: Central London
Hybrid: 1 day on-site per week
Our client is looking for a Software Engineer to work on their Database Services playing a crucial role in their backend engineering team, helping to build full-stack cloud apps. You will be responsible for building and maintaining databases that service for 6+ million customers with crucial information.
You will write solid and efficient SQL-Queries and use a serverless first approach to application design. You will work in an agile team with other backend engineers and product designers, plan, build, test, and release new features and experiments, work in a team through pair programming and code reviews, and help solve the challenges that come with large-scale systems and lots of data. You will work closely together with Product, Data, Front-end, Platform, and security teams.
• Build and maintain databases that service 6+ million customers with crucial information.
• Write solid and efficient SQL-Queries.
• Use a serverless first approach to application design.
• Work in an agile team with other backend engineers and product designers.
• Plan, build, test, and release new features and experiments.
• Work in a team through pair programming and code reviews.
• Help solve the challenges that come with large-scale systems and lots of data.
• Work closely together with our Product, Data, Front-end, Platform, and security teams.
• Experience working with Python as your main language, or willing to adapt.
• Profound experience with relational and non-relational databases and how to scale and maintain them.
• Profound knowledge in SQL and how to write efficient queries.
• Experience working with RESTful APIs and/or GraphQl.
• Experience using version control tools e.g. git.
• Good understanding of development best practices such as pair programming, TDD.
• The desire to work with new technologies and design solutions with the team from the ground up using effective communication skills that encourage collaboration and teamwork.
• Excellent software design, problem-solving skills, and debugging skills.
• The desire and enthusiasm to make constant improvements to code, and learn from others.
• Familiarity working with AWS or similar cloud Technologies.
• Knowledge with Terraform, Packer, or Consul.
• Experience working closely with Platform e.g. DevOps.
• Experience working with Python web frameworks e.g. Django or Flask. Django – Preferred.
• Good understanding of testing frameworks e.g. PyTest, Jest.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines.
What they Offer:
• Highly-competitive salary
• Regular team socials and a corporate Deliveroo account for when the need arises.
• 26 days holiday plus bank holidays – this includes a guarantee of for your birthday off if you want it.
• A generous pension scheme.
• The chance to choose from our Flexible Benefits range.
• Flexible hybrid working – expected in the office 2-3 days a week.